Thursday 13 December 2007

The Fancy



To make a fancy cocktail, you will need:

50ml of your selected liquor
2 dashes of bitters
1/3 teaspoon of sugar syrup
1/2 teaspoon of Cointreau/triple sec
Lemon twist.

Add the liquor, bitters, sugar syrup and triple sec to the glass half of a Boston shaker. Add some cubed ice and shake. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with the lemon twist.

For my Fancy, I chose to use Campari for my liquor because of its affinity to orange flavours. The bitters that I used were Angostura Bitters and in this instance I used triple sec. The outcome was a delicious (but very strong!) cocktail, where the bitters played a large influencing factor on the taste and the colour obtained from the Campari was pleasantly complemented by the lemon garnish. As personal preference however, I would be inclined to add more sugar syrup – perhaps 12.5ml. I also think I may have been over-zealous with the bitters however this can only be improved upon next time!

- Parysa

No comments: